- About Us
- Student Programs
- Student Resources
- Graduate Assistant Resources
- Assessment & Enrollment Analysis
- Division Employee Resources
- SAEM in the News
- Contact Us
- Student Affairs & Enrollment Management Home
Graduate Student & Assistantship Recruitment Program (GSARP)
at Northern Illinois University
- M.S.Ed. in Counseling & Adult and Higher Education (CAHE)
- Graduate Assistantships in the Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management (SAEM)
GSARP Weekend welcomes incoming graduate students who will be new to the CAHE program in fall 2016 and are seeking an assistantship in the Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management or partnering departments of SAEM.
GA Interview Day is for graduate students who are currently enrolled in the CAHE program and are seeking an assistantship in the Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management (SAEM), as well as current Graduate Assistants in SAEM who are seeking a different assistantship in SAEM for the next academic year. GA Interview Day occurs before GSARP Weekend in the spring semester.
GA Interview Day 2016 will be held Tuesday, February 16, 2016
GSARP Weekend 2016 will be held March 4 & 5, 2016
GSARP Weekend is a collaborative effort between the Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management (SAEM) and the Counseling, Adult & Higher Education (CAHE) graduate program. The goal of this collaboration is to provide students with a vigorous academic program and a hands-on practical experience to develop successful and effective Student Affairs & Enrollment Management practitioners.
The two-day program introduces students to NIU, the Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management, and the Counseling, Adult, and Higher Education graduate program.
Participants Will Have Opportunities To:
- Learn more about the CAHE graduate program
- Interview for assistantship positions
- Interact with current graduate students and candidates from around the nation
- Meet and interact with CAHE faculty and Student Affairs & Enrollment Management staff
- Learn more about financial aid opportunities
- Tour the DeKalb community and the NIU campus
There is no limit to the number of assistantships for which participants may request interviews. However, due to the large demand, participants will be limited to a maximum of eight interviews which will be determined by the departments.
It is not necessary that GSARP Weekend participants have completed their application to the Counseling, Adult & Higher Education program prior to the event. However, by starting the application process, participants will experience fewer delays during the offer/acceptance period. Please note the following application deadlines for the Counseling, Adult, & Higher Education program:
- Counseling program deadline is February 1, 2016.
- Adult & Higher Education (AHE) program priority deadline for fall 2016 is January 15, 2016. Applications received after that date will be processed on a rolling basis until the program is full or until the final deadline of July 15, 2016.
Candidates who are not admitted or who have missed the deadline to apply to the Counseling program and who do not intend to apply to the Adult & Higher Education program will not be eligible to attend GSARP Weekend.
The following links will provide you with additional information as you prepare for GSARP Weekend:
- Our Graduate Assistantships page contains information on which assistantships are available.
- View the GSARP Weekend schedule. (PDF)
- Refer to the GSARP Registration Information page on how to register and schedule interviews.
- The frequently asked questions page has information about lodging, parking, and much more.
- The GSARP Photo Gallery has pictures taken during GSARP Weekend.
- The Photo Tour will help you find the opening session and will introduce you to other locations relevant to GSARP.
- See what alumni of the GA Experience have to say about their time at NIU.
If you have any questions, please contact us at GAExperience@niu.edu.